I’m a diversified business and finance executive. I enjoy working with small to medium sized businesses to put the foundation in place for growth, market leadership, and future sale or recapitalization.
I quickly learn what drives results, then FOCUS on execution. Likewise, it’s equally important to know which opportunities to put on the back burner.
I like to identify unique competitive differentiators (the essence of sound business strategy), then exploit those differentiators to create sustainable and transferable value.
I excel at analyzing operating results and implementing strategies to grow revenues, accelerate cash flow and minimize non-core operating costs.
I have a background as a musician, and that gave me just enough right-brain bias to put on my creative, marketing-guy hat as needed.
I am adept at presenting complex business and financial information to virtually any audience – non-financial executives, family members, and so forth.
I started my career as a “Big 4” CPA. After public accounting, I held several C-level positions with finance and operations oversight – enterprise and project financing, key customer relationships, product line diversification, transaction negotiations, even “armchair legal counsel.” (No, I’m not an attorney!)
My financial and business background has given me the following insights and traits:
- We play to WIN, but in a context of fairness and integrity.
- We face the tough decisions early. Rarely do things get better on their own.
- Lots of folks have great ideas. Ideas without execution = hallucination.
- I’m calm when the fires are burning – and I don’t mind a good fire occasionally.
Alpine Advisory Group (2014 to Present)
Managing director of a boutique consulting practice that specializes in growth management, turnarounds, and the sale or recapitalization of small to middle market companies. Broad-spectrum experience and expertise:
- Strategy development and competitive advantage
- Leadership and organizational development
- Sales and marketing, brand development
- Growth management – prioritization, execution, investment decisions, working capital management
- Strategic alliances, negotiations, business agreements
- Corporate finance and recapitalization initiatives
Assisted in taking Charlotte’s Web from an early stage family start-up to a publicly-traded middle market consumer products company. Involvement touched all aspects of the business:
- Business strategy formulation
- Organizational development
- Sales and marketing, distribution strategy, brand identity
- Family business transition management
- Capital structure and growth management
Westone Laboratories (CEO from 2006-2013; CFO/COO from 2001-2004)
Prepared second generation family business for sale. Led company through a successful private equity transaction that met the goals of the family ownership group.
- Established key customer relationships with sustainable revenue streams.
- Led a successful reinvention of a nascent product segment to a re-targeted product line with substantial growth potential.
- Developed monthly reporting metrics that demonstrated deep understanding and fiscal control of the business.
- Worked with investment bank to prepare Information Memorandum, led management presentations to prospective buyers, closed transaction after 12+ month marketing, negotiation and closing process. This was a complicated transaction involving multiple second generation family members.
Various Real Estate Project Development Entities – 2005
This was a one-year “leave” from Westone to assist a local developer with a variety of residential and mixed use development projects.
- Assisted in divestiture of joint venture interests due to strong real estate market conditions and partner philosophy differences.
- Recognized early signs of a local real estate market top, and embarked on a strategy to “bulk sell” a 2,000 raw land parcel in late 2005. This strategy proved to be timely – we all know what happened in 2008 – 2009. Admittedly, this was part sound business judgement and part good timing on our part.
Schuck Corporation – CFO – 1998 – 2001
Assisted regional real estate development company in financial and operations responsibilities. Company had a substantial investment in raw and partially-developed real estate.
- Prepared “hold and develop” vs. “sell now” forecasts (NPV analysis) and encouraged ownership to embark on an orderly project divestiture program. This resulted in several successful project exits prior to the dot-com crash.
- Structured an $11.4M bond financing for a major freeway interchange.
- Significant involvement in sale of a high profile project in Northern Colorado Springs. A portion of the sales proceeds was escrowed at closing and went into a legal dispute. Authored a compelling affidavit and memorandum to the arbitrator which resulted in successful release of the escrow to the seller.
Sugarland Properties – VP-Finance
Full financial responsibilities for this developer of First Colony, a 10,000 acre master planned community in Southwest Houston.
- Enterprise and project specific development financing.
- Navigated through a difficult market cycle with no foreclosures.
- Financial oversight over exclusive developer owned country club, 36 hole golf course and extensive sports and food/beverage operations.
- Active financial leadership of three major retail developments. Direct involvement in two major investment sales to institutional buyers that generated $80M proceeds.
Price Waterhouse Houston – Audit Senior
Client mix included small business, oil and gas, construction and health care products.